Out-of-Country FAQ

Importing to the u.s

Our clients span from Coast to Coast to Coast.  As a U.S. resident, you can take advantage of your strong Dollar – and we make the process easy! Have a read through our most frequently asked questions below, or feel free to give us a call toll-free at 1-877-237-3670 and speak to one of our advisers.  We’re more than happy to help!

What vehicles can be imported/exported?

Although there are certain exemptions for Classic Cars, most modern vehicles will be governed by one of these two circumstances:

1)  Originally manufactured for the U.S. market.  Believe it or not, this happens more than you might expect in Canada.  In this case, the vehicle will be affixed with a sticker (usually on the driver’s inside door jamb) that states “This vehicle conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety and theft prevention standards….”  If that’s the case, congratulations!  Your vehicle will cross the border.

2)  Originally manufactured for the Canadian market.  These vehicles will be affixed with a sticker (usually on the driver’s inside door jamb) that states “Canada Transport” along with a picture of a maple leaf.  In this case, we will verify for you that your selection is equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and a Miles Per Hour (MPH) dominant speedometer; where necessary the speedometer is converted from Kilometers to MPH.

Out-of-Country FAQ 1
Out-of-Country FAQ 2

What about taxes?

As a U.S. resident purchasing for export from Canada you are exempt from our sales taxes.  You will still be responsible for your local federal and state taxes, no different than purchasing at home.

Duty or Excise taxes?

This will be levied by the U.S. government if your selected vehicle was manufactured outside of North America.  Many car companies build their cars inside North America, even Japanese and European brands.  Did you know the vehicle’s serial number will tell you where it was built?  If the first digit is a 1 through 5, you’re in the clear.  Anything else may still be eligible, however will likely just be subject to a duty.
Contact us for more details if you’d like!

UPDATE:  With the new USMCA trade agreement, some vehicles manufactured with a VIN number beginning in a ‘2’ or a ‘3’ will be subject to import duty when entering the United States.  How do you know for certain whether your ‘2’ or ‘3’ VIN vehicle of choice will qualify as duty-free?  Check the manufacture date, or ask us to do so for you!  Vehicles built after July 1st, 2020 remain completely duty-free to enter the United States.  For all ‘2’ or ‘3’ VIN vehicles manufactured prior to July 1st, 2020, the class of vehicle will determine the duty rate.  Passenger vehicles, cars, and SUV’s the subject rate of duty is 2.5%; for all affected trucks including light-duty pickups the subject rate of duty collected by the U.S. government will be 25%.

can i have it shipped?

Absolutely!  Through our brokerage partner, we can have your vehicle shipped to a handful of locations across the United States.  They look after all the import paperwork on your behalf, compliance, and U.S. title.  You simply pick it up from one of their bonded compounds once cleared.

What does it cost?

We’ve negotiated a package deal that includes speedometer conversion (where applicable), brokerage, U.S. title if requested, and shipping to either Pembina or Fargo, North Dakota – just $995 USD.  For quotes on other locations, don’t hesitate to ask.  This is our VIP White Glove treatment, we look after everything required in this FAQ!  No stress, no sweat.

What is this manufacturer's clearance letter i keep hearing about?

This is a document you can obtain from your vehicle’s manufacturer (or one of their dealer representatives), that validates your vehicle’s compliance with U.S. standards.

With the above package, it’s all looked after for you.  If you prefer to manage the process yourself, this letter will greatly expedite your timeline.  They’re available at no cost, just a little bit of leg-work.

payment methods?

We can accept USD bank wires, ACH, cash, or certified funds (bank draft or certified cheque).  Please contact us for any special requests!

is there anything else i need to know?

One last note, in order to be permissible to enter the United States any/all open recalls must be completed.  We’d be happy to coordinate both the search and completion for your new purchase.

Please be sure to verify with our adviser that parts are available for your open recall, a manufacturer’s backorder can create a delay in your vehicle’s ability to cross the border.

If you want to leave it to the experts, make sure to enquire about our VIP White Glove service.